Fort Sumner was established on November 30, 1862 and located in the Bosque Redondo on the east bank of the Pecos River. In 1863, 7,000 Navajos from Canyon de Chelly were forced to move there, where they were confined during a period of disastrous crop failures, until 1868. The post was then auctioned off. The other forts were mainly established in the mid- 1800s, and were all abandoned by the mid-1890s.
Portfolio of 18 handwritten documents, which pertain chiefly to the administration of Fort Sumner from 1863 to 1866. Other New Mexican army posts are represented by only one or two documents. These are Fort Stanton, Fort Union, Fort Marcy and Fort Cummings.