The University of Arizona Polo Team began in 1922 under the Department of Military Science and Tactics. The team, using horses belonging to the ROTC program, and being entirely funded by sources outside the University, nevertheless found success in the polo community and became the standing Western Collegiate champions. They were the first University of Arizona team to be invited to a national championship, attending the National Intercollegiate Polo Championships in 1924. Although they did not claim the national title, they continued to succeed and were invited to the nationals again in 1931. Unfortunately, due to World War II and the increasing need by the ROTC for the horses, the team was disbanded in 1942, never to be resurrected.
The collection includes typescript and holograph correspondence relating to the University of Arizona Polo team and the Southwestern Polo Association, polo score sheets, telegrams, programs and other related materials.