Fred Harvey (1835-1901) began a partnership with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway in 1878. In 1889, the Railway gave Harvey exclusive rights to manage and operate his eating houses, lunch stands, and hotel facilities upon the Santa Fe's railroads west of the Missouri River. The Harvey Houses took pride in their first class food, service, and cleanliness.
This collection includes approximately 2,000 black and white photographs depicting exterior and interior views of hotels, eating houses, railroad stations and news stands operated by Fred Harvey. States represented are Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas. Other photographs document the Indian exhibits at the Panama-Pacific International Exhibition, 1915, and the Panama-California Exposition, 1915 to 1916. A scrapbook depicts Mexican scenes and individuals, as well as Southwestern Indians. Two guest register books are for Hermit's Rest, Phantom Ranch, and Hermit Creek Camp, at the Grand Canyon, 1922 to 1930. A ledger book records some Grand Canyon operations, 1906 to 1933. Blueprint plans for news stands are also included. Correspondence consists mostly of letters of commendation for services rendered to patrons—many written on menu cards or hotel stationery.