The state of Puebla is in the central southeastern part of Mexico; its capital is the city of Puebla. Some of the documents have "Puebla de los Angeles," which was the original name when founded by the Spanish in 1532. During the mid-nineteenth century, it was occupied by American, and later French, forces.
The collection consists of civil and military records of the city, state and national governments, as well as Catholic Church records. Included are wills, deeds, property records, correspondence, government decrees, civil pensions, military battalion records, convent and monastery records, and fund administration records. Most are manuscripts, but some are printed, particularly the government decrees dated 1856-1892. Accounts and documents are present for Casa del Santuario de la Madre Santísima de la Luz (1838-1839); Colegio de Niñas Virgenes (1798-1804); Colegio de Nuestra Señora de los Gozos (1835); Convent de San Antonio (1834, 1855); Convent de San Francisco y Curato de Huejotzingo (1856); Convent de Santa Bárbara (1694, 1747; 1808-1809); and Convent de Santa Catalina (1841-1842; 1857). Wills and estate documents from 1686-1858, property deeds and titles in 1857, and 1655-1895 sale documents mostly involve property left to the church. Personal letters date from as early as the 1680s and 1690s. A substantial group of documents from 1756 to 1853 relates to pious works, donations and foundations. Military records are chiefly retirement papers, an 1818 muster roll of the Royal Bn. of Puebla, and records of the 4th Bn. Casadores, Tehuacan, from 1867. Collection is in Spanish.